Sunday, July 5, 2015

Journal Entry #2

Paris is nothing like I imagined it, and exactly how I imagined it at the same time. I know that sounds confusing, but It is the only way I know how to put it. The culture and diversity was apparent from the first day of stepping foot at Cite Universitaire. People, for the most part, are friendly and willing to help and aren't as cool or turned off towards americans as I thought they would be. However, me and a group of peers were laughed at on the train by a two girls for speaking english. I also was not expecting the vastness of the city. I knew it was big, but size is relative and Paris, in my opinion, isn't big, but immensely huge! The grocery stores are pretty much stocked with the same stuff I would find back home, which I was under the impression they only had fresh non preservative type foods. However, there food is considerably more fresh and healthier options are more accessible than back home.  On the flip side, Paris lives up to a lot of stereotypes. So many people wear stripes and scarves here. Women and red lipstick is a must. Live music being played in the metro and at restaurants is a regular occurrence. People, mostly speak french, obviously. Little froo-froo dogs rule the streets. Bike riding is normal. And leisurely evenings seem to be the way of life. So far, Paris is the most amazing, beautiful, city I've ever been in, which in my case isn't saying much since i've barley left the southeast in my 24 years of life. But I am definitely learning a lot and enjoying the culture shock.

Ugly Americans. It is a real thing. We are grossly privileged, entitled, self centered, proud, and yet every time I hear an american speaking english, a tiny gravitational pool links me to them and makes me feel a bit of relief. With all of our faults, which my senses seem to be heightened to now that I am here, we still have good. As a southerner, every person I see, I make eye contact with and smile and say hello, or nod to, or even ask them how they're doing. Well, thats not really how things are done in Paris. Here, you keep your eyes forward, walk with purpose, and mind to yourself. Maybe if I was a New Yorker I'd have an easier time acclimating, but I like striking up random conversations with people in my vicinity.
 Ok, back to ugly americans. At the Eiffel Tower on the fourth of July, I saw sorority girls throwing up gang signs, drunk guys chanting U.S.A., and an American group with sparklers. I thought, "could we be more obnoxious." As I silently sat and judged my fellow citizens, I heard a girl's voice from behind me yell across the lawn,"Hey, are you guys Americans?" to which the guys she was yelling too enthusiastically responded with affirmative replies. I rolled my eyes to myself annoyed at their fulfillment of the loud stereotype, until I heard one of the guys go, "we're from Georgia!"
"Georgia?" I yelled back, after wheeling around to face them, "We're from Georgia too!"
These random guys were from my neck of the woods, In fact, one of them went to my rival high school about 7 minutes from my house.
Anyways, I learned something valuable that night. As ugly as Americans are, and as judgmental as I was and will continue to be for the duration of this trip, deep down, as hard as I fight the temptation, I am an ugly American.

No comments:

Post a Comment