Thursday, July 16, 2015

Journal #5


Going into Bastille day, I had very basic knowledge of French History and independence. SO I did a quick Google search and found some information on Wikipedia so I wouldn’t totally be in the dark on what was going on during the days festivities.
Once we went out for the parade and fireworks, I found that I was totally I the dark for the days festivities. I had no idea what to expect, and what I got was sensory overload. Google and Wikipedia did not prepare me for the chaos, crowds, and obnoxious people.
After waking up and heading out to the Champs Elysse at 8:30am, I realized just how massive the Paris armed forces are. Including police and other security members. I was awestruck.
On every corner was a service member. While walking with a friend towards the metro to head out I asked my friend, “How are the military members going to patrol and secure everything if they’re all in the parade?”
Well, they weren’t all in the parade. Not even close.
They’re were hundreds of military in the streets, and yet countless more patrolled up and down the champs. The side walks lining the street for the parade were gated off so that the only way you could get into the enclosure was by first having your bags and person checked. This was understandable. I mean, the countries president was going to be there and no telling how many wackos were walking about. After going up to the gate to be checked, my friend was asked to throughout her cute little jar of jelly we had just received from a café. Since, we weren’t willing to part with some of belongings, we decided to keep walking up and down champs and see if we had better luck somewhere else. We didn’t. every inch of free sidewalk was covered with people just trying to catch a glimpse of the top of the soldiers helmets. As I enviously looked up at the high apartments with French people leisurely watching the parade from their balconies, three planes flew from overhead and painted the sky in red and blue. It was amazing. More planes flew by at incredible speeds keeping exact formations and at that moment the strength and security felt by strong militaries was felt by everyone in attendance.
After the parade, we decided to walk towards the direction of the Locadero to scout out a place to see the fireworks. Once at our location, the police began pushing people back out of the park in a systematic fashion.

The part I want to focus on in my blog is the security. After the fireworks display people were hearded to one metro as the closest ones to the Eiffel were closed off and guarded by police. Once at a working metro, people began to get pushy, irritable, violent, and forceful. This hearding to one metro was no helpful. If anything it made things worse. All day the police/military were blocking and barricading and controlling. Desperately trying to control a city by asserting their power but when it came down to it, It made it harder and made people feel less safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment