Monday, July 13, 2015

Blog Post #2

Audience: Travel blog piece for first time flyers/travelers.

                                                     Getting Through The Port
                                             It's not always easy, but it's always worth it.


          Wanderlust, a word many teenage girls have thrown around to describe the ever-increasing sensation or desire of getting out and leaving whatever town they inhabit. Travel is important. In fact, I would say travel is a necessity. Although that may be true, travel can be expensive and a lot of travel opportunities aren’t afforded to everyone. As a young woman who spent majority of her life in Georgia, I too had the constant persistent urge to get out, but I never had the cash to act on those urges. Since traveling is so expensive, my family never took vacations. I remember when I received my first car (this was around the same time I headed out to college) I felt unstoppable. Like the world was mine to explore. But there was only so far my lime green little boxy car could take me, and believe me, I pushed that green machine to its limits. I was road tripping all over the southeast with friends, and even going as far as San Antonio Texas. I loved mobility, but like with anything else, getting a taste of travel only made me crave more. At 24 years old, I finally embarked on the trip of a lifetime to France, and if I can do it, anyone can.

          For many first time abroad travelers, like myself, the planning stage for a big trip usually consists of figuring out what kinds of clothing to bring, as well as what fun activities and attractions to do upon reaching the destination. However, the actual plan for getting there can easily become an after thought. I started planning for my France adventure nine months in advance. I was reading articles with titles like “how to pack for five weeks,” and “how to get the most out of your trip in Paris.” I thought I was prepared for everything. I didn’t think much of my lack of air travel experience. I was new to the whole flying thing and I had no idea how I would react to a nine-hour flight once I was actually in the air.

          Upon reaching the Airport, a nervous sensation began to spread making my stomach feel as though it was doing back flips. I blew it off as nervous excitement, not recognizing the early stages of anxiety. As I rolled my suitcase over to the baggage checkpoint, the sensation only grew more and more; still, I ignored my sweaty palms and mild chills. After turning to my mom one last time to say bye, I then marched making my way through an endless maze of ropes in order to go through the security checkpoint.
 “What do I do now?” I thought frantically, once I was near the front of the line. Luckily for me there were plenty of people to observe, so I followed their lead. Shoes off. Belts off. Everything off. As I placed all of my belongings in a little cubby I began to panic, hoping, praying I wouldn’t get pulled to the side and searched like the man in front of me who either was a terrorist or had forgotten to unpack his razor blades or some other harmless contraband that would make him get pulled aside by TSA. My mind started to race, begging my brain to remember everything I had packed. “Next,” the TSA worker shouted at me. I had passed through the scanner machine without incident, praise God. As I waited for my cubby and bag to go through the x-ray machine, I continued stressing, hoping I didn’t pack too big a bottle of contact solution or somehow accidentally stuffed a rifle or butcher knife in my bag. This was the beginning of my irrational thoughts.

          Once, in the main airport I began heading to my terminal. Thank goodness I spotted some individuals who I also knew to be on the trip with me, or I might still be wandering around the massive airport. As I slyly followed the crowd, probably looking conspicuous, I gaped in awe at the magnitude of the airport, which looked more like a shopping mall. There were so many stores. I couldn’t help wondering if people paid for flights just so they could come shop or eat at the fancy food court. Fighting the urge to do some shopping myself, I finally made it to my terminal. After waiting for what felt like hours, they began boarding us. I was very nervous about who I would sit next to and prayed I would have the window seat. Lucky for me, I sat next to a very friendly individual and I was tucked away right by the window!

          Who knew how shaky airplanes were? During take off, the plane shook so much I thought for sure it would fall apart before we made it off the ground. I clutched my seat so tightly the color began to drain from my fingertips. The side ways tipping back and forth sent me over the edge. I began praying so earnestly; I felt a spiritual growth occur right then and there. That’s when the deep thinking began. I started reflecting on faith and how every individual who flies has to have faith regardless of their belief system. I thought about how many people were currently floating in the air at that exact moment. I thought about the clouds and how my plane looked like a ship floating amongst the clouds. I thought a lot. And as the anxiety and thoughts about death by turbulence subsided, I began thinking about the wonders of the sky and the majesty of the huge hunk of metal floating, transporting us miles and miles across the world. That was all it took. I was hooked. As scary as my initial ascent into the air was, I was finally traveling. The memories of getting there is a journey of it’s own, and make up a huge part of the experience. Without them, my wanderlust wouldn’t be complete. 
Taken from the Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt.
Photo by: Kimberly Chandler

No comments:

Post a Comment